The origins of MyDance Alliance lie with the establishment of the regional center, World Dance Alliance - Asia Pacific (WDA-AP), in 1993.
Malaysian members of that regional organisation, Ms. Lee Lee Lan (founder and director of the Federal Academy of Ballet, Vice-President of WDA-AP) and Dr. Mohd. Anis Mohd. Nor (University of Malaya-based dance scholar, ethnochoreologist and ethnomusicologist; Chair of the Research & Documentation Network for WDA-AP) sought to set up a related body with similar objectives at a local level.
Up until 2001, this Malaysian offshoot of WDA-AP existed only informally. The need for legitimacy and to be more effective meant a formal society had to be set up and registered.
Finally, MyDance Alliance (Registration no. 1006) came into being and the society celebrated its new status with the First MyDance Festival (MDF 2001)“Our Dance Our Life” held on 28-30 September 2001, at The Actors Studio Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. The fifth MyDance Festival was held in May and June 2013 with the theme Show Off!
Today, MyDance Alliance is a member of the regional center, World Dance Alliance – Asia Pacific (WDA-AP), and the international body, World Dance Alliance (WDA).
- Dr. Mohd. Anis Mohd. Nor
- Joseph Gonzales
- Rogayah Shahariman
- Mew Chang Tsing
- Asia Pacific Impro! -- Conceived and produced by MyDance committee member David Lim, Asia Pacific Impro! was a meeting point for selected dance and music improvisers in the Asia Pacific region to conduct research, provide workshops and engage in performance. For more information, go to www.asiapacificimpro.org.
- MyDance Festival 2013 -- The fifth festival from MyDance Alliance, brought together the Malaysian dance community for performances, workshops, film screenings, parties and, of course, lots of dancing! For more information, click here.
- MyDance Improvisation Series -- Conceived by MyDance committee member David Lim, this bi-monthly series aimed to serve as a platform for local dancers and members of the public to experience and to explore the field of dance improvisation. This was done through the organizing of workshops, jams, performances, and also collaborations with musicians. With the support of Kakiseni, the series employed Free Space as its home. For more information, click here.
- Dancebox at the Actors Studio -- a regular night of dance, featuring emerging choreographers and experimental works. Dancebox is on hiatus for the first part of 2013, but we look forward to it coming back soon!
- Dance Film Series -- free dance film showings in collaboration with Five Arts Centre. For more information, click here.
- Malaysian Dance Archives -- a project to collect, document and store programs, posters, flyers, DVDs, videos and images from Malaysian dance productions, and to make these resources available to dance scholars and the interested public.
- MyDance Festival 2011 and the Asia-Pacific International Dance Conference