- This event has passed.
Wednesday, 2 September, 2015 @ 8:30 pm - Saturday, 5 September, 2015 @ 8:30 pm
Download media release [PDF 81kb]
Two enchanting programs of short works by Malaysian dancers.
Like the traditional welcoming betelnut box, or tepak sireh, Tepak Tari is a box of dancing variety, an intoxicating experience.
Featuring works by:
- Sutra Dance Theatre, choreographed by Divya Nair
- ASWARA Faculty of Dance, choreographed by Raziman Sarbini
- DPAC Dance Company, choreographed by JS Wong
- Kwang Tung Dance Company, choreographed by Amy Len
- Temple of Fine Arts, Kuala Lumpur, choreographed by Umesh Shetty
- Lee Wushu Arts Theatre, choreographed by Lee Swee Seng
- Yu Hua Secondary School Cultural Club Dance Group, choreographed by Wong Kit Yaw
- Sultan Idris University Of Education Faculty of Music and Performing Arts, , choreographed by Abdul Hamid Chan
- Suhaili Micheline & Faillul Adam
- Rathimalar Govindarajoo & January Low
- Mikuni Yanaihara (Japan), performed by Joanna Tan
- Gerard Mosterd (Netherlands), performed by January Low
From charming Chinese classical dance performed by school students, to minimalist contemporary works set to avant-garde music.
From the rhythmic tapestries of odissi, to the explosive power of wushu.
Like the ritual of assembling the areca nut, betel leaf and lime paste, Tepak Tari stirs together the rich living tradition of Malaysia’s dance heritage with fresh perspectives and spicy dashes of creativity.
PROGRAM A: Wednesday 2 September & Thursday 3 September
PROGRAM B: Friday 4 September & Saturday 5 September
Venue: Auditorium DBKL, Jalan Raja Laut, Kuala Lumpur, 50350
Tepak Tari is part of KL i Dance, the dance program of DiverseCity Kuala Lumpur International Arts Festival 2015.
Tepak Tari is a production of MyDance Alliance, in partnership with Sutra Foundation and The Japan Foundation Asia Center.