The 17th annual Congress on Dance Research, “Dance in Education” will take place 22-26 October 2003 on the Island of Naxos, Greece.
Jointly organized by the International Organization of Folk Art and the International Dance Council CID-UNESCO, this major international event in dance scholarship gathers approximately 250 specialists from 35 countries every year.
Deadline for submitting research papers, as well as proposals for lectures, exhibitions or performances: 1 September 2003
Topics for research papers:
– Research conducted according to scientific methodology (ethnographic, sociological, historical, pedagogical, psychological, medical etc)
– Presentation of unpublished information on dance as related to other topics such as music, costume, theatre etc
– Organizational, artistic, social, scientific, educational, economic and other approaches based on documented proposals
– The dilemma: Fidelity to historical truth or novelty?
Congress programme to include:
– Presentation and discussion of original research papers
– Lecture-demonstrations, video and film projections, discussions
– Performances by selected dance companies
– Groups of villagers executing their own dances
– Teaching of dances encountered during field research
– Visits to places of special interest, such as dance schools, museums, ensembles etc
– Evenings where congress participants dance to music by local musicians
– Exhibitions and sales of books, records, pictures, costumes, accessories etc
Those interested in participating are invited to send a message to:
National Dance Theater
Scholiou 8, Plaka
GR-10558 Athens, Greece
Tel: (30) 210.324.6188
Fax: (30) 210.324.6921